Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Celebrities


Michael Torpey, Operatic Tenor and Classical Vocalist
Here's a guy who can really sing: Michael Torpey. You can hear him sing "My Way" in the role of Frank Sinatra on this site. He happens to be my cousin, and he's trained as a classical vocalist and operatic tenor. He has been singing professionally throughout the country for several years -- and you can hear him sing "My Way" in the role of Frank Sinatra on youtube video.

Torpey's Favorite Vocalists With Videos

My favorite vocalists reflect the fact that I was brought up in Yonkers, N.Y., in the 1940's, but the music of the '30s and '40s rang in my ears as a boy. My father was a pianist whose friends were often at my house singing the American Song book. Bing Crosby tops my list of favorites. Enjoy the videos.


Overdue Tribute to Bing
Bing Crosby, the man who "crooned" his way into the hearts of millions in "Pennies From Heaven" in the mid-1930s was "Swinging on a Star" by the 1940s. His "White Christmas" inspired GI's on the battlefields of World War II as well as their loved ones at home.

Few Americans favor capital punishment; what they favor is the execution of faceless lowlifes they'll never see, never know or come face-to-face with. But, put a face on the person to be executed, the face of a friend or relative, and capital punishment becomes unthinkable.

The O.J. Simpson murder trial in 1995, although clearly unlike any other trial in history, revealed an urgent need for reform of the American judicial system -- something I've been urging for some time.

Oscar's No Award WinnerChances are you watch the Oscars on TV every year, and, if you're like most people, you probably found the show a little long and a little boring.

Why would a boxer who can make millions for a single prize fight want to give up his income, and his freedom, to become a Marine recruit? Riddick Bowe did just that! But it didn't make sense to me. And it didn't make sense either, when it was reported that he quit the Marines.

No comments: